Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- In 2016, the center installed a 750 kW fuel cell system which produces 6,241,500 kW of clean electricity each year.
- In 2017, the center installed solar panels that will produce 950 kW of power. That is enough energy saved to power 160 homes for one year!
- More than 350 tons of cardboard is recycled each year from cardboard boxes and other shipping materials.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- Lighting levels were changed in the mall to support green initiatives and save energy.
- We’ve adjusted heating/cooling levels throughout center and mall office to save energy and reduce our carbon footprint.
- Our food court restaurants’cooking oil is collected and recycled by third party contractor.
- Within the Mall’s Management Office we purchase eco-friendly office supplies whenever possible. We’ve eliminated paper and plastic eating utensils in the office in favor of traditional reusable products, and we encourage recycling within all offices and workstations.
- Most of our restrooms (with the exception of the family restrooms) are equipped with electric hand dryers instead of using paper towels.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building