Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- In 2016, the center installed a 750 kW fuel cell system which produces 6,241,500 kW of clean electricity each year.
- In 2017, the center installed solar panels that will produce 950 kW of power. That is enough energy saved to power 160 homes for one year!
- More than 350 tons of cardboard is recycled each year from cardboard boxes and other shipping materials.
- Many of our retailers now offer shoppers the option of reusable bags.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- Lighting levels were changed in the mall to support green initiatives and save energy.
- We’ve adjusted heating/cooling levels throughout center and mall office to save energy and reduce our carbon footprint.
- Our food court restaurants’cooking oil is collected and recycled by third party contractor.
- Within the Mall’s Management Office we purchase eco-friendly office supplies whenever possible. We’ve eliminated paper and plastic eating utensils in the office in favor of traditional reusable products, and we encourage recycling within all offices and workstations.
- Most of our restrooms (with the exception of the family restrooms) are equipped with electric hand dryers instead of using paper towels.